Monday, April 4, 2011

New in my Shops: Carved Candles and Plaques!

I've recently started exploring my ability to carve. So far I've only done carvings in wax - beeswax and paraffin. At some point I will likely try using other materials, but this is great fun for now! :) I work with completely cooled/solid wax and use wood carving tools for cutting. Then I use Lemon essential oil to soften any hard lines or edges. The Lemon essential oil naturally dissolves wax and works with both beeswax and paraffin.

My carvings take between 8 and 16 hours to complete. I don't refer to pictures as I carve. I simply have a general idea in mind when I start and then see what shows up as I work. After I finish the carving, I make a silicon mold from the original. The carvings I have for sale are the wax duplicates made from the molds. The molds create perfect reproductions!

Here are the first two carvings that I have listed in my shops.

Beeswax Goddess Candle
This is my first detailed carving and I'm very happy with how she came out! She's 2 inches tall. I carved her from beeswax, starting from a square votive. It took about 8 hours to carve this.


























Fairy Plaque 
I love this fairy design! I carved the original in beeswax. The picture shows the reproduction made from paraffin wax. This also took me about 8 hours to carve. This plaque is 3 inches in diameter and is 3/4 inch thick. There is a flat edge, which allows it to stand on any flat surface. This has no wick and is meant to be displayed for decoration only, not for burning or melting.












Keep watching my shops for more to come!

Etsy shop
http://dragon06.etsy.com

ArtFire shop
http://DragonsDen.artfire.com

No comments: